Saturday, December 10, 2005

There's Nothing Like the Christmas Spirit

One December, back in the era when I was managing a comic shop, I was at a comics convention and got Dave Sim to sign and personalize a Cerebus t-shirt for a friend of mine who couldn't be there that day because, well, someone had to run the comic shop. If I remember correctly, Dave drew the aardvark in a Santa hat, and had him saying something along the lines of, "The cash register came up short. You're fired. Ho, ho, ho." What always stuck with me, though, was what Dave said when he handed the shirt back to me: "There's nothing like the Christmas spirit -- and this is nothing like the Christmas spirit."

I'm not exactly renowned for my holiday cheer, either. So in the true spirit of the season, I'd like to share with you Sarah Silverman's "Give the Jew Girl Toys."

If you like Sarah, I also recommend these IFILM clips from her "Jesus Is Magic" show. My favorite is "My Boyfriend Is Catholic."

Also funny is this clip of her taking over "Chappelle's Show" for the AWOL Dave Chappelle.

And finally, here are some recent articles about her in The New Yorker and Slate. If you're wondering about the photo above, it's of Sarah Silverman as Rain Robinson on "Star Trek: Voyager."

Above: A Cerebus Christmas card, signed by Dave Sim and Gerhard, from cerebusfangirl.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home