Friday, July 22, 2005

Wonder Woman and Her Wacky WAC


Thanks to the DVDs and the upcoming Joss Whedon film, is back on the geek radar, and it reminded me of a question I once posted on my message board:

Okay, who remembers the old Wonder Woman TV show? Wonder Woman's secret identity was Diana Prince. But this wasn't her real name, it was just an assumed name that she used when she decided to stay in America. So "Diana Prince" isn't an American citizen. She's not even a legal citizen of any recognized country on Earth, considering that she's from Paradise Island. Yet, she has no trouble getting a job at the War Department! No driver's license. No birth certificate. No passport. And America's in the middle of a World War. So my 2-part question is: (a) "Who did she have to sleep with to get a security clearance?" and (b) "How lucky was THAT bastard?" I mean, think about it. We're not talking about some macho soldier or pilot here. He had to be some file clerk somewhere. And one day this Amazon Princess who looks like Lynda Carter in her prime shows up and needs a favor. He's probably still telling his grandkids about it. Doesn't it sound like one of Grampa Simpson's war stories? "I slept with Wonder Woman once!" Just a thought.

My buddy Jeff posted this response:

Being the espionage history buff that I am, I can tell you that Corey is right on the money with the exception of one thing. During WWII, G-2 admin was primarily staffed with women since the men were all tasked out for operations. The personnel function including vetting of operatives were all done by the fair sex. So, right concept, wrong gender. I prefer that version anyway.

I didn't give Jeff's version a lot of thought at the time, but reading it again, I was reminded of Diana's "best friend," the supposedly unlucky-in-love Private Etta Candy of the Women's Army Corp. She and Diana spent an awful lot of time together, and I'm pretty sure that, as General Blankenship's secretary, Etta could have pulled any strings that Wonder Woman needed for the creation and protection of her secret identity. Plus, who wouldn't want a girlfriend named Private Candy?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home